Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Stem Cell Transplant Underway

By: Elizabeth

Today we learned that the stem cell harvesting process, started here at the Mayo Clinic Phoenix, was successful. I am among the fortunate patients receiving a bone marrow stem cell donation. Unlike many hopeful bone marrow receipients, I will donate my own bone marrow stems cells for transplant and enfgrafting. For other patients, using their own stem cellls in not an option. These patients must look close family members and even strangers for a good match.

To be entered in the Bone Marrow registry to see if you can very simply donate in order to save a life, please click on the image of Shaq at the right of the page. Save a life.

The harvesting of bone marrow stem cells was a simprisingly simple processs for me, as a donor. In order to for the collection process to yield sufficient stem cells first I received numerous shots of a drug, Neupagen. This drug is designed to foster an overproduction of whitle cells and stem cell from the bone marrow. Through the apheresis processs, the donor's blood is collected and run throuh a special machine. That machine in turn separataes the bone marrow stem cell from the remaining parts of my blood. The stem cells are kept for future donation. The by-product blood is then returned to the donor's body.

Last week, the apheresis (donation) process yielded the stem cells required for at least 2 transplants. On June 1st, half of the stem cells they harvested will be transplant back into my body. The other half of the stem cells wil be frozen; safe-keeping in case we need them again someday.

Tomorrow Bryan and the boys and I will be together here in Scottsdale. We are so happy at the Pulvers condo, feeling so grateful for their generous offer to let us stay here during the transplant process.

On May 31st the guys will go back home. The boys will enjoy the last few weeks of school, before summer vacation. On June 1st I am scheduled to be admitted to the hospital to receive the mega dose of Melphalan, a chemo drug. That drug will destroy my existing bone marrow.

On or about June 4th, I will receive a transplant of my own stem cells. This transplant offers the potential for amazing results. Those stem cells will allow for the growth of new bone marrow (a.k.a. engrafting). I will be in an isolated hospital room until, at least, June 13th. After I leave the hospital, we'll once again have the priviledge of staying at the Pulvers. Our hope is to return to Lake Tahoe by June 28th.

Hugs to each of you for your interest in our family; we feel and so appreciate your prayers and gestures of kindness.

...

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, Be strong! All of us on Freels Peak are sending you love, energy and support! The sun is finally shining, the flowers are growing and we can't wait to have you back home! Hugs, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sunshine from home, Gina. I'm. Looking forward to getting back as soon as they'll allow me to. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete