Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Postcard from Camp Bone Marrow - It's My Birthday!

by: Elizabeth

My absolute first thoughts each morning are about Georgie, Bryson and their daddy, Bryan. When we say 'Good Morning' over telephone or Skype, I'm as happy as a chickadee.

Bryan has been a true yoman in his efforts to cover everything on the home, best friend and work fronts. A daunting task that gets far too little recognition. When you get a chance, please give Bryan a hug, send him a message or otherwise recognize him as the loving guy that makes all this beautiful stuff happen each day.

Today came with especially meaningful news. Today I learned it's my birthday, or at least a day I will consider my second birthday from this day forward. On December 28, 1963, I was born with a brand new body that, lucky for me, had no crossed wires or other disruptions. Similarly, today I write to you from a body that has, to use a metaphor, had its 'reset' button pushed.

Today's body has undergone a 'Spring Cleaning' . (A wonderful image shared with me by my friend and neighbor, Valerie.) This Spring Cleaning included the elimination of my bone marrow, where the unwelcome cancer cells lived. As I sit here now, I have no white blood cells and my new marrow has not yet engrafted, or grown in. This afternoon, however, I will receive some Neupagen shots to encourage the growth of new white blood cells. It will also encourage the growth of my new healthy bone marrow, new furtile 'soil' for healthy well-bahaved cells.

So give someone a hug. It's my birthday! (Great birthday song.)

10 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!! Oh, how I wish I could come by your home upon return and celebrate. Hearing those words are like balm in Gilead to me. Enjoy and continue to rejoice, dear Beth. How I truly do with you as well.
    I am so blessed to have you in my life.
    Love truly, Kristin Slaughenhoupt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, what an amazing world we live in now. I am so happy you are getting such fantastic care from your family, your friends and the medical community. Stay strong. Much love, Lisa T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!! What a great way to look at it! Susan Swan Mead

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an inspiration. We are so lucky to have you in our world. Happy second birthday Elizabeth.
    darolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a good day with optimal white cell growth. Sending more prayers and healing thoughts.
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birfday Bethie!
    REJUVINATION in every cell! You've got a new start and I'm so excited for you and your progress.
    I liked how you referred this to camp. As you so beautifully described your journey to this bone marrow camp, it reminded me of when we went to camp together. It made me sad to think of you going to this camp without me this time.
    However the one who will never leave you nor forsake you is with you still. I just wish I could be a mouse in your pocket. Thank you for sharing this exciting experience my sweet corrageous sister. I love you.
    As for Bryan, you're the dude! You really are so very special to me as a brother in-law. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking such great care of my sweet sister and the boys. Love you all, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Beth!! Lovin and thinking of you! xxoo Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth,

    Happy Birthday, times 2. You are going through so very much, but at the same time, are making such wonderful progress toward your ultimate good health. I pray for your strength and courage. You will beat this! What a loving husband and family you have, not to mention friends who think so much of you. We all do.

    Janette Gaddie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! Love the idea of a second bday. Tim and I are praying for you and sending our love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Beth. Glad to hear things are going so well.

    ReplyDelete