by: Elizabeth
Monday was my first chemo treatment. My best friend and loving husband, Bryan (for those of you that didn't already know his name) drove me to my appointment. He was fun and supportive. The same can be said for the wonderful staff at Dr. Heifetz's office. They explained my chemo process and attended me with gentle professonalism during my infusion. The oncologist's office even has two 'therapy dogs', 'Theo' and 'Buddy', who are a fun comfort.
We were a bit surprised when it came to the oral chemo medication. Twenty-three pills. It's at this stage that I'm reminded of all the millions of people that have faced-down chemo treatments before me, and those that face treatments along with me. Foremost in my mind is a little boy and son of a high school friend. Please hold John Ricksen in your prayers. He, and his loving family, are an inspiration to me.
My general opinion of chemo, so far, is that it does not compare to what I feared it might be. My childhoold friend Julie Tanner Reichle told me this would be the case. How nice to find out she was right. I've endured a few of the anticipated side effects, but none of the rare and dreaded side effects.
Our entire family continues to be upbeat and positive. This is, without a doubt, attributable to the grace of God and the blessings of friendship. The Care Calendar maintained by the Uber Moms, complete with wonderful meals, shopping and more has been more wonderful than I even imagined. The love and pure kindness in each of your acts is not lost on us. We feel each thought and prayer. They give us untold strength. The thoughts and prayers of friends that live farther away have done the same. Distance cannot dilute love.
The boys have been happily spending time with caring friends since last Monday, coming home to our house with Cristine Hereth by 3p. Cristine then helps us prepare the generous meals that have been lovingly offered by friends. (How will I ever be able to properly thank each of you?) The boys are feeling a few adjustment bumps, but nothing disturbing. For that, I am so grateful.
Today we are meeting with a nanny. We very excited and hopeful that she will be able to care for the boys each week day from 11:30a to 5p. More to come on that topic soon.
Bryan continues to work hard. As for what Bryan does, I think the boys describe it best, 'He makes sure people have lots of money when they need it.' Here's a more grown-up take on his business. Bryan didn't want to travel out of town this week for one day, as he generally does weekly. Next week he will return to this schedule. He seems to be less pressured and more at ease. Again, it is the generousity of family and friends that has brought him this comfort. This Saturday, in fact, Bryan and I will go on a 'date day' to be together and play.
On that note, today please hug at least two people you love (even if it's a telephonic or cyber hug), and tell them that you love them. Counting loved ones and blessing leaves little time for anxiety and saddness.
Hugs to you each of you from me too.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I will be checking out your food calendar & make you & your family some of my old fashioned organic healing soup. It's guaranteed to make you all feel better. I'm going to experiment making bread, but it will never top yours. Sending lots of love & hugs, Eleanor
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your update. It's nice to have a place to check in with you and see how you are doing. We all love you and are rooting for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.,,, even if it's a phone call to say hi!
ReplyDeleteBeth and Bryan,
ReplyDeleteI'm so grateful for you to share your journey with all of us and having the guts and talent to express the details so well.
After reading all your blogs and comments, I have to say I am overwelmingly grateful to all of your friends and support.Bless you, and thank you Uber moms from the bottom of my heart, for helping my sweet sister "Bethie". I live out of state and cannot be there like I'd like to help. You too are in our prayers.
Bethie, I'm so proud of you. You have poured your love out on so many people, it's time for you, time to heal and love on Bethie.
Continue to put your life in God's hands. You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you! Huggs and Kisses to you and the boys,
Sherry
Beth~
ReplyDeleteYou are such an inspiration.....beauty and grace in the face of the unknown.....thank you for reminding the rest of us it's people who matter...not things. We are pulling for you and praying for you. Much love!
Katy
Hey Beth,
ReplyDeleteYou are so amazingly positive! When my mom and step-dad had chemo, Odwalla drinks helped them both, just wanted to pass along that little thing I remembered b/c it may be something not yet tried. I hope the bad times go fast and the good ones go sloooww...
I will think healing thoughts for you, go away cancer!!! HD